Safety – Basic Rules





    In case of a gas leak

    1.  Avoid flames and sparks.
    2.  Leave the building immediately or move well away from the leak if you are already outdoors.
    3.  Call 9-1-1.

    For more information, consult the Tab In case of an Emergency.


    Top of page




    Snow or ice - Removal near exterior natural gas installations

    The exterior natural gas installations (connection, meter, air intake and exhaust pipe) must be accessible at all times.  The connection must therefore be kept clear of any snow or ice accumulation.  This situation could lead to the interruption of the natural gas supply or a substandard appliance performance.

    • Do not throw snow against or onto your natural gas installations.  Make sure they are clear at all times.  Be careful when using a shovel or a snowblower.  Use a broom or brush to clean your natural gas installations.  They are fragile pieces of equipment.
    • Take care throughout the winter to keep your natural gas appliances operating normally by removing snow and other obstructions from air intakes and exhauts pipes.  Check them regularly, particularly after heavy snowfalls.
    • Check the area around the natural gas connection regularly.  Make sure that roof run-off, freezing rain or water from an eavestrough do not cause a buildup of ice on the connection.
    • Should you notice an accumulation of ice on the natural gas installations, please call our Customer Service and a technician will be sent onsite so the ice can be removed safely.

    Snow or ice removal procedure


    Top of page




    Flood or water damage

    If the situation affects natural gas appliances, close the natural gas shutoff valve and call Gaz Métro emergency service at 1 800 361-4568 or 514 598-3222.

    If you have to evacuate your home due to a flood, close the shutoff valve before leaving and alert Gaz Métro.
     
    Security procedure in case of a flood



    Top of page




    Installation

    When installing a natural gas appliance, make sure that:

    • the connection is airtight, and
    • the appliance is working properly.

    This is why the installation, inspection, maintenance and repair of natural gas equipment and appliances should be done by specialists.  Entrust this work to a company:

    • that holds a licence from the Régie du bâtiment and
    • that is a member of the Corporation of Master Pipe-Mechanics of Quebec.

    Any technician or plumber working on natural gas appliances must hold a natural gas competency certificate from Emploi-Québec.

    Gaz Métro has established a network of qualified contractors.  We recommend that you entrust the installation of your appliances to a Gaz Métro Authorized Partner.

    When installing natural gas appliances, if you do not have one already, why not install a carbon monoxide detector at the same time?


    Maintenance

    The regular inspection of you appliances helps detect any problem as well as any signs of their deterioration.  Poorly maintained appliances may give off carbon monoxide (CO) which can have harmful effects on you health.

    The natural gas flame should be blue.  Blue indicates that you appliances are performing optimally.  However, it is normal that the flame in your gas fireplace has yellow tints.

    Avoid using any appliance when the flame is yellow or orange (other than fireplace) and have it checked right away.

    Also maintain the appliance's air intake and exhaust vents, making sure that nothing is blocking the ventilation or the exhaust of combustion gases.


    Top of page




    Watch out for Carbon Monoxide


    What is carbon monoxide?

    Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless and colourless gas.

    It is produced in small quantities by gasoline engines and other appliances that burn fuel with only partial or incomplete combustion.

    If CO accumulates due to appliances not being well-maintained, or if they are not working properly, it could cause serious health problems, even death.

    However, a natural gas appliance that is well calibrated is just as safe as a standard-compliance electrical appliance.


    Symptoms of CO poisoning

    • Headache
    • Nausea
    • Dizziness
    • Vomiting


    What to do?

    Leave the building immediately.  Contact medical services by calling 9-1-1.  Make sure that the source of the carbon monoxide has been determined before returning to the building.


    How to prevent poisoning

    • Have your natural gas appliances regularly and carefully maintained.
    • Install a carbon monoxide detector that meets CSA 6.19 or UL 2034 standards.
    • Make sure that your exhaust vents and chimneys are working properly, and that the air intake and exhaust vents are cleared of snow in the winter.

    Consult also:
    In Case of an Emergency.

    Watch out for Carbon Monoxide

    Usefull links