In case of an emergency

Call 9-1-1. If this service is not available in your region, call 1 800 361-8003.

Natural gas is odourless. A very smelly substance is added so leaks can be detected. This substance, called mercaptan, gives off a strong smell of rotten eggs.

What to do?

1. Avoid flames and sparks.

  • Do not smoke.
  • Do not turn on any appliance near the leak, not even a cell phone or a light switch – static electricity could produce a spark.

2. Leave the building immediately or move well away from the leak if you are already outdoors.

Without delaying your exit, on your way out, you could open doors and windows (or leave them open) to ensure maximum ventilation.

3. Call 9-1-1.

If this service is not available in your region, call 1 800 361-8003.

If you are feeling dizzy or nauseous, or you have a headache, especially near a natural gas appliance, leave the building immediately and call medical services at 9-1-1. An appliance that is not working properly can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Other unusual situations, such as a flood, ice storm or abundant snow, may call for special measures being taken. These are covered under Prevention Basics.

>